I listen to a lot of podcasts...a lot. Like... I have almost 200 shows that I subscribe to. I use the amazingly awesome Overcast on iOS to listen to them at 1.5x speed. I have mine grouped mine by broad topics; News, Parenting, Tech, General, and PhD. Yes, there are podcasts specially focused on PhD life. Unfortunely, many have not being updated in several years, but they still serve as a great resource. I’ll list the ones I listen to, or use their archive, and then explain why they’re in my PhD grouping.
- Back to Work
- Cheeky Scientist Radio
- Edit your life show
- Free Agents
- Functioning Minimalist
- Getting Things Done
- GradHacker podcast
- Hello PhD
- Home Work
- Misadventures of a Graduate Student
- PhD Trekkers
- Recovering Academic
- Rock your research
- This Graduate Life
You may have caught the theme here.
1) PhD specific podcasts discuss life as a graduate student; the hills and valleys
2) Productivity podcasts that help me learn ways to stay organize and focused
3) I listen to minimalism podcasts to help me think about clutter and distractions in my life
4) Entrepreneur/business podcasts, because my philosophy on gradschool is that of a person making a product and running their own business. This has helped me shape my approach and organization to my research
I’ll try and write more on grad school as entrepreneurship and being a maker in research.